Cat Welfare Society Inc trading as Cat Haven (Cat Haven) is committed to protecting the privacy of individuals.
The protection of personal information in the private sector is required by the Privacy Act 1988 as amended by the Privacy Amendment (Private Sector) Act 2000 (the Act). All employees and officers of Cat Haven are expected to comply with the Act and Cat Haven's policies and procedures concerning the protection of personal information.
This policy is based on the following principles:
- privacy of personal information is of paramount importance to Cat Haven;
- your personal information will not be shared, other than in accordance with this policy without your permission or in accordance with the Act;
- we will only use your personal information for the purpose for which it was provided.
This policy applies to all our web pages at www.cathaven.com.au, (the Site). It explains our practices with regards to collection and processing of any personal information (i.e. information from which an individual's identity is apparent or can be reasonably ascertained) and that may be collected as a result of your use of the Site.
1. WHAT INFORMATION DO WE COLLECT?
- We do not collect personal information about you if you only browse this website. This website only uses session cookies during a search query of the website. When you close your browser the session cookie is destroyed and no personal information is kept which might identify you to use in the future.
- We do collect and maintain information from members in accordance with the Associations Incorporation Act 1987. This information is limited to a member’s title, name, address, in some cases date of birth, contact details including email addresses and status of membership.
- Cat Haven collects personal information via various methods such as, but not limited to:
- Cat adoption forms;
- Cat surrender forms – owned animals;
- Cat Surrender form – stray (homeless) animal;
- Cat Haven clinic records;
- Volunteer applications;
- Donations records;
- Cat boarding records;
- Membership applications; and
- Entertainment Book coupons
- Cat Haven collects and maintains the details of its volunteers. The information collected is limited to title, name, in some cases date of birth, address, other contact details, email address and preferred area of volunteering.
- Cat Haven collects and records details of customers who use Cat Haven boarding facilities. This information is limited to title, name, address, contact details, email address, emergency contact details including name of next of kin and veterinary service, and boarding records.
- Cat Haven collects and records the details of customers who have adopted animals. This information is limited to title, name, address, contact details and email address.
- Cat Haven collects and records information from surrenderors of cats. This information is limited to title, name, address, contact details and email address.
- This Site allows you to contact Cat Haven and companies associated with Cat Haven by sending e-mails, for the purposes of:
- subscribing or unsubscribing to newsletters, media releases or other communications;
- requesting information about Cat Haven; or
- making other enquiries.
- By sending e-mails, you will be providing us with certain personal information, which may include your name, e-mail address and any other details you include in your e-mail. This information is collected by us for the purpose of dealing with your request. We may not be able to deal with your request without this information.
2. WHAT DO WE USE PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR?
- We only use your personal information for the purposes for which you give it to us and for related, internal management purposes.
- Subject to the exceptions stated below, we do not give information about you to other government agencies, organisations or anyone else unless one of the following applies:
- you have consented;
- you would expect us to or we have told you we will;
- it is required or authorised by law;
- it will prevent or lessen a serious and imminent threat to somebody’s life or health;
- The disclosure is reasonably necessary for law enforcement; or
- for a reason as set out below.
- We do not disclose or provide to any third party or mailing company any information you have provided other than providing to our mailing services provider the name and address details of Cat Welfare Society members for the sole purpose of mailing Cat Haven correspondence.
- Information concerning members is used to maintain up-to-date membership records and to keep members informed of activities and news at Cat Haven.
- Information concerning customers who have adopted cats is stored on our Animal Shelter Management database, and is used for internal statistical information and to keep owners up to date with news and activities at Cat Haven.
- Information concerning customers who have surrendered cats is stored on our Animal Shelter Management database, and is used for internal statistical information only.
- If it appears to Cat Haven that a cat or kitten being surrendered to Cat Haven has suffered cruelty or neglect, as defined by the Animal Welfare Act 2002, then Cat Haven will provide enforcers of the Animal Welfare Act 2002 (currently the RSPCA WA) with information that is essential to their investigation of the allegation. Cat Haven may also provide such information to the WA Police Service in cases of alleged cruelty or neglect to an animal.
- In the event that cat owners have agreed to the cadaver of their animal being supplied to Murdoch University School of Veterinary Science, Cat Haven will supply Murdoch a copy of the owner’s agreement. Access to this document will be limited to the Ethics Committee of Murdoch and senior teaching staff at Murdoch.
- Under the Associations Incorporation Act 1987 Cat Haven is obliged to make viewing of, or an extract from, the current membership database available to any financial member.
- We also analyse non-identifiable website traffic data to improve our services.
- Any personal details that you provide as a result of accessing the Site or sending emails will be used for the purpose of dealing with your request or enquiry. This may involve disclosing your personal information to service providers who assist us in operating Cat Haven.
- If your request involves subscription to newsletters or other material or requires us to send you communications, your details and information about the communications you wish to receive will be held on our database and used for the purpose of administering your subscription or request. We may use your e-mail details to contact you from time to time to provide you with information about Cat Haven.
- With regard to all other enquiries, your details will only be accessible and used by personnel dealing directly with your request. We do not use or disclose any personal details that you provide to us for the purposes of direct marketing.
3. DISCLOSING PERSONAL INFORMATION
- As noted above, we may share personal information with related organisations, companies or with contractors performing services for Cat Haven which are required by Cat Haven to comply with this policy.
- Cat Haven will only make such disclosures to achieve the purpose for which the information was provided. Otherwise, Cat Haven 's policy is not to disclose any personal information to any unrelated third party, except with consent or where we are required by law to do so.
4. RETENTION AND DISPOSAL OF INFORMATION
- Cat Haven will only keep personal information it needs for the purpose for which it was collected.
- Cat Haven will dispose of such information when it has no further need to use it or it is required by law to do so.
5. E-MAIL SECURITY
In line with our policy on e-mail security, any e-mails that you send will be automatically scanned, which could result in certain attachments and styles of message being automatically blocked. Our IT administrators may have access to your e-mails in order to authorise the content. This is done purely for IT security purposes and our IT administrators will not access the contents of your e-mails once this process is complete.
6. SECURITY OF INFORMATION
- You should be aware that the Internet is not a secure environment. However, Cat Haven uses all reasonable efforts to ensure that any personal information collected is held securely.
- In addition, only authorised personnel have access to personal information. Such personnel have agreed to ensure confidentiality of this information and are required to comply with this policy.
- Member’s personal information is stored on a password-protected membership database, which can only be accessed by key senior staff.
- Information on our Animal Shelter Management database is also password-protected.
- All surrender forms, sterilisation consent forms and adoptions forms containing personal information are securely destroyed once the information has been entered into our Animal Shelter Management database.
7. ACCESSING AND UPDATING PERSONAL INFORMATION
- Please let us know if your details change and we will make every effort to keep any personal information held up to date and accurate.
- You can access your personal information and notify us of any change, modification or correction, by contacting us.
8. COMPLAINTS AND FURTHER INFORMATION
If you have a complaint or require further information about how we handle personal information or any privacy issues please contact us.
9. LINKS WITH OTHER SITES
10. OUR CONTACT DETAILS
Our contact details are available on this Site.